Monday 13 January 2014

2013 summary part 2

At the end of each ski season or trip I often find myself dying to get out rock climbing again, and Spring 2013 was no different.  The only downside was the weather and quantity of work.  Thankfully, due to the breaks back home in the winter season I had kept up some of my strength and the endurance soon returned.  While I let myself down on the outside climbing front, inside I was determined, climbing harder routes than before and started to get over my falling phobia!  Another revelation was finally understanding how to use my feet, leg and bum muscles to pull me up the wall.

As a freelance outdoor instructor I worked across the country from Dorset to the Peak District to London to Wales.

Guiding the Southern Carneddau Horseshoe in Snowdonia.  A much needed lunch break.

In between work I tried to get in as much climbing as possible including fun personal days out and 'more serious' practice days in preparation for my Mountaineering Instructor Award assessment which I am aiming to do in 2014.

Climbing with Sarah on Lion in the Llanberis pass, my favourite VS in the pass.  Awesome exposure and you can't quite believe it's VS but the holds and gear keep arriving in time!

Simply the best lean to shelter I have ever seen built in just a few hours by some students on an outdoor residential course


Squeezed in between work we managed to head up to Scotland for a holiday.  We bagged some munros, had some good cakes; but most importantly were impressed by the Cairngorm national park service and help of the wardens.  Upon entering the post we were greeted with a friendly welcome, shown lots of photos of places we could walk and climb, could ask for a 'poo pot' to carry everything out, and there was a wildlife spotter chart on the wall too.  I only hope that the Snowdonia park will become more like this in the future.

In the Cairngorm ski resort


In July I led an expedition to Peru with a group of sixth-formers from London.  This was an amazing experience, I learnt loads, loved it, and as it was my first trip as sole leader of the group, a major stepping stone in my outdoor career.

Foggy skies in Lima, Peru

Trekking in the Andes

Returning to the UK in August the heat wave ended.  Just before I managed to get in my first route on Cloggy, and then it was back to the climbing wall.  Even our trip to Cornwall was plagued with bad weather and the only advantage of this was the discovery of the Barn Climbing Wall.  Truly epic, with bouldering that topped out, and really friendly.  http://www.barnclimbingwall.co.uk/  We also visited the Eden Project, had a Mediterranean lunch in one of the Biomes and got lots of ideas for our veg patch when we finally have one.

The view out of the van by Bosigran.

In the Autumn I completed the first step to becoming an International Mountain Leader by completing the summer training course and speed nav test.  A five day long course held at Plas Y Brenin, and meeting the other trainee's was one of the best bits as the wealth of experience within the group was astonishing.


A fungi - I still have no idea which one it is!


Before leaving North Wales for the winter, some snow arrived on the tops and I tried to spend as much time as possible running and walking outside to get some of my leg fitness back.

The view from the Nantlle ridge across to Snowdon

Walking in the Carneddau, the view across to a snowy Y Garn

Mixed weather in the Carneddau


Finally arriving in Verbier, Switzerland at the end of November with a fully laden van, there appeared to be little snow.  It just kept melting, in fact, during the Christmas week I managed to run up to Croix des Coeurs - around 2000m, only touching snow for the last 200m or so.  Finally we got some fresh powder before the New Year and the trail running in shorts and silly socks ended.


The view across to Verbier in late December - normally freezing and covered in snow.

Trail running just before sunset along the bisses above down from the forest to Les Planards.

No comments:

Post a Comment