Sunday 12 January 2014

2013 summary, part 1

As the Verbier ski conditions continue to be subnormal for this time of year - snow is due later this week; I thought it would be good to spend some of my day thinking over 'best bits' of 2013 in the outdoors and thinking of goals for 2014.

2013 began with a great ski season in the Alps, mostly because I got a job and the ski touring was excellent.  After such a good start to the year it was with trepidation that I embarked upon my first summer season in the outdoors as a full time freelancer - no side contracts, no other jobs, all outdoors and all self employed.  My main worries included whether I would get enough work and still have time to climb and most importantly see friends and family.  All in all I had a great summer of work, but I would still have liked much more time to play!

Here are some photos and stories from the previous year.


December 2012 we drove out to the Alps for a holiday.  I had no job, bought a season pass, and pretty much thought that I would be returning to the UK at the end of the holiday to return to a never-ending land of contract waitressing at London Christmas parties!

Within a few days of arriving I landed a part time ski instructor job with Adrenaline Ecole de Ski, and thus, I drew ever closer to my dream life.
Off piste skiing in Verbier
 The season of 2012/13 was incredible, the powder days kept coming, and it was great to share them with friends and family.


Winter conditions back home in North Wales came and went, and in my time off skiing, around the school holidays I squeezed in lots of winter walks and scrambling.  I even got to try out my new Haglofs couloir pants (the older version of these http://www.haglofs.com/en-us/products/clothing/layers/shell-layer/men/couloir_iii_pant_en-us.aspx ), of course bought purely to look good in photos!

There was even enough snow to do my first day of Welsh ski touring, Nant Peris - Y Garn and back.  It was... an experience!

Welsh winter walking in the Ogwen Valley
Upon returning to the Alps I passed my BASI level 1 telemark exam, went ski touring in Austria, worked the Easter holidays and finally got to ski the Bec Des Roses, my first 5.1 ski descent and super exciting - particularly when I realised I would have to do a kick turn at the top of the 55 degree section!


The view down the Bec des Roses after the first few turns.

The line of the dogleg couloir on the Bec des Roses (the dashes are where you can't quite see the line, but it's just the other side of those rocks!)


As an active member of the Eagle ski club I joined them on two tours in March 2013.  Touring in the 'start' of the season means the huts are emptier, there is more snow, but it's colder and ... there's more snow.

We were lucky enough to have great weeks both in the Northern Stubai and in the Otztal regions of Austria, both of which I have never been to before, and both of which held amazing huts, mountains and ski lines.  I can safety say it was some of the best ski touring I've done in the Alps.

Ski touring in Austria, amazing views and great skiing


Powder yo-yo-ing by the hut on a 'day off'  The couloir back right was what we came down the day before in foggy conditions


















Ski touring in Austria, breaking trail, hard work but I secretly love it

Conditions in the Alps continued to remain well into Summer, and it was with some reluctance that I returned home at the end of April.


Part 2, summer and autumn to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment