Monday 14 September 2015

My first foray into the world of Jam making; Damson Jam

I had noticed the numerous apple trees at work but had never realised there were some damson trees in the orchard until last week.  The proliferation of wasps drew me to the plum trees were I found a feast of greengage, plum, damson and pear trees.  Almost no one was picking the fruit and huge quantities of it were going to waste so I picked a bag full in my evening break and began googling recipes.
It's very important to taste your jam!

Damson's are not as sweet and appetising raw as they are cooked or processed.  The most popular recipes were Damson cheese, jam, gin and brandy.  Having just made 3 jars of Spiced Apple Chutney to accompany cheese I didn't really fancy a Damson Cheese, so jam it was.

1.5kg of Damsons (with stones)
1.2kg of Sugar (I used granulated as it is cheaper and this was not a problem at all)
200ml water
 
Easy...
 
First off, put a small plate in the freezer and get your jam jars ready (see the bottom for sterilizing them.

De Stoning the Damsons
 
Ruling out the, boil the fruit to get the stones out, then miss one because you always do, and crack my tooth, I opted for cutting the stones out.  The first ten went well and then it was suggested that I should just squeeze them out - this was infinitely quicker and easier.  I can't think why more recipes don't suggest it!
I added the water to the stones to get that extra bit of juice out
 
After this simmer the fruit with the water then add the sugar and let it dissolve.  A good check is to put some of the back of your wooden spoon and see if any sugar granules are on it.

Stirring the sugar into the fruit


Checking the sugar has all dissolved (in the picture the 'grainy' looking bits are actually small air bubbles on the spoon, so double check it by tasting it!
Then let it start boiling for over ten minutes - you can feel it getting slightly thicker and it will reduce about 1/3 or so in volume.  Get the saucer out of the freezer put some jam on it and stick it back in the freezer.  When the 'saucer jam' is cool prod it with a finger to see if it has set or not.  If it hasn't set give it another five minutes and repeat.  (I was quite unsure about when it would be ready, so I didn't boil it that strongly to start with, and it took around 25minutes of boiling in the end).

Stirring the Jam constantly whilst it is boiling
 
Once ready let it cool off the hob for 10 minutes and then pour into your jars (a ladle is handy for this)
 

Doing the wrinkle test - another good excuse to eat more jam!

 
Then eat it - although it does give you quite a sugar high if you eat too much!


Doing up the jam jars - note the oven glove, they were super hot
 
 
 
Note on sterilizing jam jars:
I now have a collection of Kilner jars but still reuse some old jam jars.  Both jars work, however the Kilner type jars are worth the investment if you will be doing lots of jam and chutney making.  Wash them with soapy water and then put them in the oven at 180degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment